The arts abound, enriching the lines of South Georgians through several local organizations, including Southern Artists' league, Valdosta Choral Guide, Theater Guild Valdosta, Snake Nation Press, Withlacoochee Quilters' Guild and Little Actors' Theatre, Valdosta State University, and others.
Arts and Culture
A myriad of cultural activities takes place in and throughout our communities to inspire, entertain and add to the overall quality of life. Many organizations work hard to ensure the preservation of the arts and other cultural events in each county. Spectacular natural beauty, unique historical sites, and outstanding entertainment and recreational opportunities are just the beginning of what South Georgia has to offer you.
The Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts is South Georgia’s premier arts destination. The 17,000-square-foot center houses five light-filled galleries, class room space and a state of the art kitchen where culinary classes are taught. New exhibits by local, regional, and national artists are installed every six weeks in the galleries. In addition to the visual arts arena, The Turner Center for the Arts brings the Presenter Series, four to six nationally touring Broadway Performances, including optional dinner-theater performances, to Mathis Auditorium each year.
- The Southern Artists' League was founded in 1989 to serve as a forum for the creative expression of professional and aspiring artists in Georgia and Florida.
- Theatre Guild Valdostafeatures productions, direction and performances by local players presented in the ‘Dosta Playhouse, with optional dinner-theatre performances available.
- Valdosta Choral Guild, composed of local and regional singers, performs a holiday and a spring concert in the ‘Dosta Playhouse.
- Valdosta Chamber Players features classical chamber music by local and regional professional musicians.
VSU Fine Arts Gallery, located in the Fine Arts Building, is committed to providing a teaching and learning environment serving a diverse student body and local audience. The Gallery fills a unique niche in the region as a venue for exhibitions showcasing student artwork as well as art from outside the region. Diverse exhibitions serve both the state and regional community by providing cultural enrichment and expanded educational opportunities to everyone.
- Valdosta Symphony Orchestradelivers an array of outstanding classical and pop concert performances of a unique blend of resident artist-faculty, students studying professional music disciplines, talented community performers, carefully selected professionals from a five-state region, and guest soloists of national and international renown to the community.
- VSU Music Department offers performances by the Jazz Ensemble, Steel Drum Band, Faculty String Quartet, the Wind Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, and the Chamber Singers, along with a piano festival and solo, duet and trio student and faculty performances throughout the year.
- VSU Dance/Theatre VSU Dance and Theatre presents a seven-production season offering a variety of styles and genres of performances including great drama, comedy, and musical theatrical professional-level performances.
- VSU Opera presents one major opera annually, followed by an operetta.
- Peach State Summer Theatre is Valdosta’s premiere professional summer stock theatre! Each summer, a company of some 60 actor-singers, dancers, technicians, managers, and creators will reside in Valdosta for a nine-week season. During that time, they will rehearse, build and present three musicals in rotating repertory. In 2006, Peach State Summer Theatre was designated the Official Musical Theatre of the State of Georgia by the Georgia Legislature.
- VSU Planetarium is equipped with 47 seats and a Spitz A3P projector and reproduces the night sky with the moon, stars, and naked eye planets. An evening series of four public planetarium shows is offered each year free of charge.
- Wild Adventures Theme Park offers numerous concerts throughout the year featuring top name bands and performers of pop, oldies, country, rock-n-roll, gospel, and more.